Senator Dietrich: "I submit that CONTROL is extravagant in its budget, ineffectual in its conduct and worthless to the national interest."
Maxwell Smart: "He's onto us, Chief."
CONTROL's budget is slashed by Congress, resulting in a limit on the number of bullets which can be used and reducing Maxwell Smart from brass knuckles to a single aluminum knuckle. In an attempt to prove that CONTROL serves a useful purpose, Max pretends to defect to KAOS in order to discover an infiltrator high in the US government.
- Maxwell Smart - Don Adams
- The Chief - Edward Platt
- Perkins - Paul B. Price
- Larabee - Robert Karvelas (uncredited)
- Siegfried - Bernie Kopell
- Hans - Bob Homel
- Dietrich - Harry Bartell
- Eric Kruger (uncredited)
- Boris (uncredited)
- The song Siegfried whistles in his office is the Horst-Wessel-Lied, national anthem of Nazi Germany.
- Originally sponsored this week by Lever Brothers (sponsorship bumper: Lever Brothers' Lux Liquid). For those of you who tuned in this week, these are the original commercials you would've seen: Lux softening lotion, Lux Liquid, Anacin, Deep Magic Moisture Cream, Betty Crocker Tender Devils Food Cake Mix, and Pepsodent. Plus the Get Smart Sponsorship end bumper for Lever Brothers' Pepsodent, and Get Smart closing credits for "Cutback at CONTROL" with Pepsodent sponsorship.