|The Hairless Hound Caper|
|Issue||#1 (June 1966); reprinted in issue #8|
|Artist||Dick Giordano (uncredited, pencils), Sal Trapani (uncredited, inks)|
|Pages||31 (13 + 11 + 7)|
|Next Story||Self Defeat|
Three-part story with the second and third parts subtitled "It's a Gas!" and "The Bare Facts" respectively.
Weapons and Gadgets
- Armored T-Shirt
- Sleep Pellets
- F-37 Cigarette Lighter (shoots bullets)
- G-32 Cigarette Lighter (emits sleeping gas)
- Shoe Phone
- Personal Jet Propulsion
- X-001 Chewing Gum
- Boutonnière Gas Spray
- Tear Gas (in heel of other shoe)
- Swordcane (drawn from scabbard in cane) (KAOS)
- For reasons best known to the anonymous author, in this first comic story, Max continually calls the Chief "Control", while 99 calls Max "Chief".
- The central plot point of a bald-headed men's convention comes some two years before the KAOS League of Bald-Headed Men is introduced in the television episode "Diamonds Are a Spy's Best Friend".
- The second part subtitle, "It's a Gas!" is a play on the expression popularized in the Jazz Age.
- Artist credits are from Martin O'Hearn's blog. Trapani's signature can be seen in the first panel.